- Why HPD lots matter to St. Marks, Bergen and Dean residents & next steps
- Update on discussion about unified organization for our area.
- What are your transportation related concerns?
Don’t forget! Movie Night at Dean Playground on Saturday, July 21st, from 8-10pm!
Date: Monday, July 9th
Location: 87 St. Marks Ave, between Flatbush and Carlton, up the steps
ON SATURDAY, JUNE 23 1:30 – 7PM LOCATED ON DEAN STREET BETWEEN 6TH AVE AND CARLTON
The Dean Street Block Association is hosting their annual block party. Open to residents of Pacific Street, Bergen Street, St. Marks, Carlton, Vanderbilt and 6th Avenue. Join us for food, music, raffles, a bounce house, face painting, scavenger hunt, a fire truck and so much more!
SCHEDULE: Drop in for a variety of activities!
2PM Pet Talent Show – Bring your furry friends for a friendly competition of skills and cuteness.
3PM Cardio Sculpt – SevenBell Fitness leads this fun 30-minute blend of aerobic and calisthenic exercise.
4PM Zumba – Join Studio Maya for a Latin-inspired dance class. Beginners welcomed.
Scavenger Hunt run by local co-working space Industrious Brooklyn.
LETS JOIN TOGETHER TO CREATE A BETTER, STRONGER NEIGHBORHOOD VOICE
What do you think about a single neighborhood organization to represent northern Prospect Heights?
Dean Street Block Association would like to create a single neighborhood association that includes St. Marks, Carlton, and 6th Avenues, as well as Bergen, Dean and Pacific Streets. This is a special area with shared issues. We have a history of working together successfully.
In a neighborhood, legitimate representation requires genuine consultation and participation. We believe local civic organizations should be guided by their members, act transparently, and communicate openly and honestly. Please join us to discuss this idea as a way to more strongly advocate for our community and its shared issues and concerns.
Date: Monday, May 14th
Location: Community Room at 506 Bergen St, Latin Evangelical Free Church
Please sign our online petition if you would like to expand the Dean Street Block Association but cannot attend the meeting on Monday, May 14th.
When: Monday, April 16th
Where: Industrious, 594 Dean Street between Carlton and Vanderbilt, 2nd Floor
Few NYC neighborhoods are as affected by development as our own. Vertical construction at Atlantic Yards / Pacific Park has been stalled for a year and a half, and future ownership is uncertain.
Raise your questions and concerns with the city’s Comptroller Scott M. Stringer, one of only three directly elected citywide officials in New York City. Among the Comptroller’s roles is reviewing city contracts for integrity, accountability and fiscal compliance. In February, Comptroller Stringer issued an audit of HPD calling for it to develop its vacant city owned properties into affordable housing.
What are the potential options forward for Pacific Park project and two HPD lots also now being considered for affordable housing projects?
What should our goals be?
The former HPD sites on Bergen and Dean are slated to be developed as affordable housing by the city. Join your neighbors to discuss building size, local infrastructure, open space and housing related issues.
- Do the developments have to conform to the same size as
neighboring buildings? Not necessarily.
- Can the size be reduced to expand our playground? Maybe.
- How many affordable housing units? Unknown.
- How deep will the degrees of affordability be? Likely greater than on
sites owned by private parties.
- Do we have the infrastructure to support additional new development?
- What’s your opinion?
When: Thursday, March 15th
Where: 535 Dean Street (between 6th Ave and Carlton Ave)
on the main floor, community room
— CB 8 PUBLIC HEARING & GENERAL MEETING NOTICE —
DATE: Thursday, March 8, 2018
PLACE: 1000 Dean Street (between Classon & Franklin Avenues) Brooklyn, NY 11238
TIME: 7:00 PM
- Welcome & Meeting call to order
- Roll Call
- Acceptance of Minutes
- Mr. Xaveir Shakesphere, Housing Specialist, will make a presentation on LINC—Living in the Community Program
- Public Hearing Item: Public Comments on city agency responses to Community Board 8’s Preliminary Capital and Expense Budget for Fiscal Year 2019. Please make comments on the responses to specific requests and say the agency responsible for giving the response. (Testimony will be limited to 2 minutes per person. Please review the document in advance and have your comments prepared).
- Action Items from the following Committees: Land use, SLA & Sidewalk Café Review
- Report of Committees:
- Economic Development
- Education and Youth
- Livable Streets
- Public Safety
- Old Business/New Business
- Acknowledgement of Elected Officials and Elected Official Representatives/Public Comments
Please note: The order of agenda items are subject to change.
Join us for our monthly block association meeting on Monday the 12th at 7pm.
Agenda will include:
- Updates on 535 Carlton & 516 Carlton
- HPD Parking Lot
- Help with park usage
- Block expansion
- June Block Party Planning Update
- Community Concerns
Location: 497 Dean Street, Buzzer 27.
Beer and snacks will be provided!